Friday, May 29, 2009

'OASIS' T-Shirt Shop at Dodoma

Ok, Finally I sit down to write my experience about 'OASIS' shop that we came across while we were walking in market of Dodoma - apparently somewhere near One way street.

So, the main purpose of my walk was to find a shop where I could buy a T Shirt with local names or symbols on it. While exploring small shops we came across a shop which said something like '**** printo ***'. For curiosity sake, I asked the shop keeper if you can print, and if yes, can you print something on a T Shirt. Apparently he understood what I said. He took me to a nearby shop. We took a plane T Shirt. I felt confident. I explained him my requirement with mixed swahili and english. He was nodding his head in agreement. So I told him to print my black color T Shirt with a picture of Simba and text Dodoma below it. He understood. I was happy, I got what I was looking for. I got a deal .. and that too for just 2000 TSH. He told me to come after three hours and collect the T Shirt. I was so happy, I ran down and told my friends about my latest discovery. Well, it was worth mentioning. Afterall I found a shop to get custom made T Shirts and that too in Dodoma. And all that for just TSH 2000.

I waited at hotel for next 2 hours, and went back to the shop at 5 pm. Liz accompanied me as she wanted to buy some 'Congas'. I had some milestones in mind. And what a surprise. The scene was completely different when I returned the market at 5 in evening. The flags were gone. My first milestone disappeared. But I managed to remember some static building. First right from One Way Street and I reach the corner.

The scene is completely different now. The Conga shop where we we bought congas was closed. No congas on display. And I look at the corner where I had found my T Shirt shop. And it was gone. Disappeared. There was nothing. I walk around next two corners. Reassured myself that I am at the same place. The shop simply disappeared. I was completely disappointed. I asked some onlookers who were kind of curious to see me walking around a corner suspiciously. I asked one person about the shop. He didn't understand a word and gave me a weird look instead. I felt like I am in a completely different world now. I am an idiot now. How can something change so drastically in 3 hours.

So, my friend Mr. Dan named the shop 'OASIS'. But I was determined to find the shop. Next day I visited the site again. This time morning 9. But to my disappointment, I saw a guy laying wooden planks at the 'OASIS' place. Well, the inquiry was useless.
But what happened to my shop. So, if next CSC members happen to read my blog. I would be happy if someone finds that shop and get my T Shirt. :-)

1 comment: